Wednesday, June 4, 2008

The War Against Stuff....


Ok people....take a moment to look around you.  Take a good long look at your stuff.  The stuff that surrounds you in your home, the stuff that hangs out in your purse or wallet.  The stuff you just can't live without.

I think its time to wage a war.  Not against some fascist group....not against invading murauders.  Let's wage war against those sound bites and bits of adversting that tell us to go out and get stuff.  It's iPods for your ears.  Its fancy phones that take pictures, schedule your life, play music, give you directions, make movies and fries chicken.  Its the latest sneakers!  Its the right pair of pants!  Its the latest accessory!  Its the catalogue that you relax with while you contemplate getting more stuff!

Our lives are full of stuff.  So much stuff that we trip all over it, give it away, or just throw it away.  We are consumers.  Lets think about that word...consumers.  Before that word was applied to those of us with credit cards, that word was used to describe another creature...locusts.  Now when we hear the word consumer, we no longer think of flying insects that invade and consume everything around them till there is nothing left.  We think of ourselves.  Although I don't think we are much different.

Everyday I hear people saying "where does all my money go?"  Let me direct your attention to the stuff.  Stuff we don't need.  Stuff that will not make a smidge of difference in our lives but we can't bear to live without.

I am currently purging my home.  I'm looking through all my stuff seeing what I need, what I don't need.  And I am examining why I felt so strongly that I needed this stuff to begin with.  It's a slow process, but little by little, I am taking my home back and showing all the useless stuff the door.  I'm donating some stuff and I am giving it away on Freecycle.com.  This way my stuff doesn't end up in a land fill with millions of tons of other people's stuff.

Its time to wage this war on stuff.  Enough with this culture of buying.  Look at it like this, you can continue buying useless, frivolous stuff or you can save that money.  And little by little, that money will pile up.  You can use it to buy a tank of gas.  You can use it to start a savings account.  And if you don't buy all that stuff, in the end, that stuff will not end up in a land fill hurting our planet.

Enough is enough!  Say no to stuff!

2 comments:

  1. OMG Soni how did you know I was flipping through the catalog that arrived in my mailbox yesterday? OK OK I put it down and that is step one, right???? This blog is so very true, and sad at the same time. I will be the first to admit, I buy stuff that I NEED, not want, but truly believe I NEED, and most to the time, these needs are clothes. When I rotate between the summer and winter wear, I make a HUGE donation to the church or Salvation Army (whispering.... sometimes still with the tags on them). I think you wrote this blog just for ME. Is it OK to NEED a new pair of white sandals?????

    ReplyDelete
  2. AHHHHHHHH....SPRING CLEANING!!!!
    I did my closet yesterday (2 bags for the salvation army) I have NOTHING on my walls in my living room right now (I NEED new frames but just don't want to BUY them) and those darned catalogs have been landing in the trash can....I'm guilty, I LOVE to look through them and want new things because I looked at them! I am trying not to shop....I find I look like a slob but my children are well dressed (cept for the pants thing, I REFUSE to buy pants at this time of the year and they have both had growth spurts) I have been staying out of the stores trying my hardest not to BUY but I also NEED new sandals....it's a never ending battle but I have been trying my hardest to fight it!
    Thanks for the reminder!!!

    ReplyDelete