Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Wear a sweater on March 20!


OK people!  Mark your calendars!  March 20th is National Mr. Rogers Day and I will be wearing a cardigan sweater in honor of Mr. Rogers, who will have turned 80 on that day.  Since I work in Children's Programming, everyone I work with will be breaking out the sweaters. 

Some of you may know this, some of you may not, but I work for the show Arthur which airs on PBS.  Mr. Rogers was one of the pioneers in my field.  He believed children could learn through television.  Which believe it or not, that is how I learned to speak English.  He believed that television could be used to expand our horizons.  So do I.  So on March 20th, I will walk out of my house wearing a Cardigan sweater and some canvas sneakers.

So here is some trivia about our neighbor...Mr. Rogers:

  • Fred Rogers was ordained as a Presbyterian minister in 1963
  • In May 2003 asteroid number 26858 was named 'Misterrogers' after him.
  • When he was mad, Mr. Rogers sometimes played the piano and got his feelings out through his fingers.
  • Mr. Rogers owned 25 sweaters which he wore over the years of the program.
  • His cardigan sweaters were mostly made by his mother.
  • Mr. Rogers was color blind
  • When Mr. Rogers was young, he loved to ride the trolleys in Pittsburgh; that's why there is a trolley on his program.

4 comments:

  1. ding ding....I can still hear the trolley and I have a couple weeks to get myself a new cardigan!
    I was not aware of where you worked but I believe you have bragging rights...
    I could go off for hours about some of the shows that my children watch but have never once complained about PBS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And last year we won the EMMY!!! Take that silly monkey!! (curious george was favored to win)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fond memories of Mr. Rogers fer sure. But I was always more of a Sesame Street kid myself (a good nosiey racket would attract my attention). No one could beat the Cookie Monster, he was by far my fav. Love me some Grover, too. I just love men in blue...LOL Happy Thursday, honey! HUGZ

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved Mr. Rogers....
    "would you be mine, could you be mine, won't you be my neighbor"

    ReplyDelete