Saturday, April 19, 2008

Kind Words..........


Today I was running errands.  I dropped off my daughter at her father's to celebrate Passover.
On the way home I swung by Massachusetts General Hospital to pick up my mother's prescriptions from the hospital pharmacy.

For whatever reason, her prescriptions were not ready and I was told to come back in 10 minutes.  Normally I would be a little annoyed, but it was a nice day out and the cafeteria has really good smoothies.

I took a little pit stop in the ladies room.  While I was washing my hands, the woman next to me looked in the mirror and said, "Oh...this wind is not good for my hair!"

She was a very lovely older woman.  She had an accent, I am guessing she was from Ethiopia.  She was impecably dressed and her hair looked windswept.

I said, "You hair looks great!  Windswept hair is very in fashion right now!"

She laughed and then looked at me and said, "You are a good person.  You say things
to make people happy!  Because of you I will have a good day today."

I have to say, it kind of took me by surprise.  How many times do we keep our mouths shut and let the opportunity for a kind word pass us by?  And how many times do we forget to thank someone for their kind words when we do get them? 

She wasn't the only one who had a good day.  Her kind words to me put a spring in my step.
And it reminded me of a beauty tip Audrey Hepburn once gave, "for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness."

4 comments:

  1. That was very nice of you, and I am sure a natural reaction from you, which makes you that much more special.

    ReplyDelete
  2. very nice indeed....and I love that quote!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. love it...words have a power we tend to undermine...you did good. (((HUGS)))

    ReplyDelete
  4. AAAAAAAAWWWW!!! Group hug everybody!! Group hug!!!

    ReplyDelete