Friday, August 8, 2008

I LOVE THE OLYMPICS!


Today I am optimistic.  Today, representatives from all over the world gathered in Beijing in the spirit of goodwill to compete in the Olympic Games.    No one is there to compare the color of their skin.  No one is there to judge another because they don't speak the same language.  No one is there to fight, with the exception of the Judo athletes and the boxers.

I always look forward to the Parade of Nations, when the athletes walk into the main stadium.  Each one of them wearing something that represents their nation.  This year Venezuela wore white jump suits with gold, red and blue stripes across the front emblazoned with stars.  Lesotho wore beautiful African prints.  The British wore blazers, big surprise.

But I loved what team USA wore the most. I love that they wore blazers with white pants and white sneakers...and Kangol hats!  It was fun and casual, it was smart and hip.  I loved that the men and women wore the SAME outfit! 

I hate it when, in the Parade of Nations, the men wear something cool and the female athletes have to wear some stupid blazer and skirt combo or an even lamer dress, because their women and they need to wear skirts.  The American women wore the same as the men and they looked great.  And they wore the same as the men because they are ATHLETES just, like the men.

I'm looking forward to these Olympic Games.

Yes I know China has a dismal human rights record and their government is questionable at best.  But I am going to look the other way for now and I'm going to enjoy the Olympic Games.



  

2 comments:

  1. I watched the whole sheebang last night, it's always my favorite part!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found out today that the outfits Team USA wore were designed by Ralph Lauren, no wonder they looked fierce!

    ReplyDelete