Sunday, August 31, 2008

It's My Choice and No One Else's!!


I was having a discussion the other night with a friend of mine regarding our views on abortion.  In case any of you have missed any of my previous blog postings...I'm a huge left leaning liberal.  My friend on the other hand describes herself as more traditional.  After our discussion, I thought back on how I came to decide that I was Pro-Choice.

I went to St. Gregory High School in Dorchester.  An all girls Catholic high school, where the ideals and teachings of the Catholic church were rammed down my throat repeatedly in hopes that I would become a good Catholic.  And we all see how well that turned out.  Oh, the price I paid for a decent education....

St. Greg's had a rival school, Cardinal Cushing High School in South Boston.  They would call us St. Pregs and we would in turn call them Cardinal Conception.  Unlike other Catholic high schools in the Boston area, we did not hide our pregnant teens by scurrying them off to a special school where they could continue their education behind closed doors protecting their shame.  I don't think we had any more pregnancies than any other Catholic high school, we just didn't hide it.

I think the Sisters at school decided that in light of teen pregnancies they would show us a very special film to deter us from choosing abortion in the event of a pregnancy.  This very special film showed us an actual abortion.  Some girls chose to walk out or just flat out not watch the film.  I stayed and I watched it.

Some girls cried and took up their torches, they became Pro-Life.

I watched that film and saw the harshness of the procedure that even seemed violent to me.  It was horrible and shocking.

The movie was over and I too picked up my torch.  And to the surprise of Sr. Katherine...my torch was Pro-Choice.  Even after seeing the film, I still chose the right to choose....

I had a friend growing up, lets call her G.  She was a couple of years younger than me, but we were still close.  Her mom was the younger sister of family friend.  She was always regarded with suspicion as she didn't live a "traditional latina" kind of lifestyle.  She would go out to parties and OMG...she would date.  Since she was a single mom, my mother and the other family ladies believed she should only live to raise her daughter and have no needs or desires of her own. 

She eventually found a man.  He moved in.  And everyone thought that he was a stable guy who would put this woman on the straight and narrow.  Her paryting stopped and she was no longer "being a loose" woman.  Well, "loose" as my  mom and the other women saw it.  The years went on.

At the age of 11, G finds out that she is pregnant.  Her mother's boyfriend had been raping her since she was 6 years old.  And now she was pregnant with his child. 

After it all blew over, we couldn't help but notice that G never had the baby.  We were told that  the test was wrong and she was never pregnant.  I was much more innocent then and now I know, the pregnancy was terminated.

While some people will say that she should have had the baby (and I know people who do feel that way), I think for once her mother did the right thing.  G was 11 years old and carrying a baby.  And she was expected to carry that baby to term when she wasn't much more than a baby herself?  I think that is cruel.  She was raped repeatedly from the time she was 5 years old, hadn't she suffered enough?

I'm going to let you all in on a little secret.  I lost my virginity at 17.  Soon after the loss of said virginity, I was convinced I was pregnant.  However, I used Fort Knox level birthcontol.  I used everything...condoms, birthcontrol pills and the Today Sponge.  But as a guilt ridden Catholic, I had convinced myself that one sneaky sperm had managed so bypass all that security to fertilize my hypothetical egg.  Luckily I was not pregnant.

Fast forward 12 years... 

I wasn't feeling well.  I was so tired all the time.  I had heart burn that would not go away.  And the very sight of chicken made me nauseaus.  Turns out I was pregnant. However, I was married, I had a college degree, a job I loved and a medical insurance. If not now, then when? 
So I made my choice.

Had I gotten pregnant when I was 17, with no job, no boyfriend, no education and no medical insurance, my choice to continue with the pregnancy might have been much different.

When a woman, like the woman in the film, chooses to have an abortion, she does not come to this decision lightly. I figured that the woman in the film must have thought long and hard about the procedure.  It must have been described to her and she must have been told what she was in for.  And she still chose to go through with it.  She must have agonized over this decision and then she made her choice.

No one in the Pro-Choice movement thinks that having an abortion is great.  And no one in the Pro-Choice movement thinks that ALL pregnancies should be terminated.  But we do believe that it should be a choice available to women.

I hope I will never have to make that choice.  But I am glad that since I live in Massachusetts, I have the right to make that choice.  I get to decide. 

I am glad that that decision lies in my hands and not in the hands of a priest who has never walked a single step in my shoes, or that old lady with the rosary beads in front of Planned Parenthood who screams at you even if  you are just going in for a pap smear, or a politician who just wants to keep his congressional seat .  Its funny, these are also the same people who throw a fit when we suggest making birth control more readily available to prevent unwanted pregnancies...hence avoiding abortions.

So yes, I am a woman, I am a mother and I am Pro Choice.  I have never had an abortion, but if I ever find myself having to make that choice I believe that choice is between me and God... an no one else.





15 comments:

  1. Soni I am with you 110% on this one. I was just having a conversation the other day regarding John McCains running mate and her pro-life opinion. I think most female, yet not all will verbalize this, are pro-choice. "I believe that choice is between me and God... an no one else" AMEN

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you Sue!!! You always have my back!! Have you thought of running for president?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm on board with you and Sue and if she decided to run....she's got my vote!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am a huge believer in choice and safety, my mom told about having to be in a back room and her clothes taken away until 3 hours had passed to be sure that no one was being followed. And she and dad were in med school but it was 1956. I have never lied about abortion, I don't go out of my way to share but I had one at 16 and 1 at 30, and when I had Eric at 37 I was doubly sure thatthe correct decisions were made. Not easy decisions, and a rough aftermath. Latewr when I had mutliple miscarriages it was even harder but I am of a firm belief that I made smart decisions. Rick and I talked before we got pregnant about what to do about DS and other bad reports, also. I think that we were responsible, because we'd have been much older parents without any support if anything had happened to us. Luckily it was not a factor. My mom and I would go help workers and patients get from their cars to he building safely at the Doctor's office back when she was alive, it is so sad thatis is dangerous for people to do their work. In the south it is protested all the time and their are less and less doctors who do the procedures because of safety and insurance rates. I don't advocate abortion as bith control but I am a firm believer in smart thinking. Good for you posting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always find it interesting that when the "pro-lifers" are expounding on the issue, that is, after they get back from protesting at abortion clinics, harrassing and in some cases, killing doctors and innocents (Boston several years ago), they never seem to have a solution to the big question of "well, since you are against abortion, how about taking one of these un-wanted children." Ohhhhh noooo, they can't do that. Instead, a teen who is might be an intervenous drug user, abused 90% of her life, has zero money, homeless, should HAVE the baby according to these nut cases. What a wonderful life that child is destined to have. Oh yeah, great idea. Listen,I have a few of these grand standing idiots in my family and I can tell ya right now, they'll hold that bible up, tell you God is gonna get you big time for your sinful ideology of a womans right to choose. But when push comes to shove, I highly doubt that the higher being, whatever you might believe is, does not want any being (the future unwanted child especially) to live a long, loveless, uncared for, life of suffering. Do I make sense? They key word here is "unwanted' as in unwanted pregancy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry for not proofreading I was on a roll.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have always been Pro Choice. However I've wittnessed that some of these young girls using abortion as a form of birth control and are repeatedly on the table. We lack much needed education in this area. In being Pro Choice, I believe every conceivable option should presented including the option to bring the pregnancy to term and allow a family to adopt.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mart - thank you for sharing your experiences, you are indeed very brave.

    attagirl - I'm there with you 100%. They expound on how evil it is, but offer no solutions. And God forbid you talk about birth control....

    Tainia - I agree with you. Abortion is not a form of birth control, but is often used as such. And there should be options presented. But before we even get to this point, I think there needs to be a lot of education about birth control and how the body works. Whenever I hear a kid say "you can't get pregnant the first time" I want to slap them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Govt needs to stay out of my private life. PERIOD! What I do as an adult is my business. If you take away abortion, you take away safe procedures. If someone is that against being pregnant, they will get it done. Legal or unlegal.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes FourHorses, if you take away safe legal abortions we are back to square one, namely back alleys and wire hangers.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am not sure how brave I am, but we adopted my oldest son when he was a teen. His cousin, who I met 1st as she was one of Eric's babysitters, was smart and had a future. At 16 I got her in and she excelled at a college summer program for highschoolers and they told her come to us when you are ready for college. She would have had a full ride. Even as smart as she is, she buckled to her mother and aunt, who said (and this is a DIRECT quote) "Why go to college when you can work at the PicPac and bring me home smokes and cokes with your discount?" Last tally: 2 babies, two daddies, she did finish high school and recently quit her job at the car-seat-cover factory because it's easier and better money and benefits to stay on welfare and food stamps. I am not saying that she doesn't love her kids, I am sure that she does. But she comes from a family where they are lovable CHECKS, and even a smart girl like her falls to pressure and also what is known and comfortable. I am still heartbroken. I tried hard to help break that cycle. As I get older, I get crankier and a bit more jaded. I am pro-choice and pro-education. I am pro-child. BUT I am pro-death penalty in certain cases with all doubts taken care of by technology (all the new DNA etc), and I am in favor of saying HEY! You get your tubes tied or a vasectomy after that 2nd or 3rd child and we'll keep the checks coming another 3 years or some other trade off. I can spay and neuter my pets, FFS, but we can't make a deal to those who keep cranking out babies for the wrong reasons or are unable to care for them? But then, i can have a pet put to sleep when they are dying in pain and I can't do that to a loved one who wouldn't want to linger, so go figure. Look! I leapt from soap box to soap box! Sorry, I got heated! Marty xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mart: You are welcomed to jump on your soap box any time you want!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow @ Mart, you sure gave me somethings to think about. Thank you for sharing your experiences and views. I feel the way you do for somethings and for other's I don't. But that was some story you told. Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Her whole life ahead of her, the ability to break out and ...... It makes me weep with anger AND sadness.

    ReplyDelete