Sunday, January 4, 2009

Who the hell is Brody Jenner?!


A friend of mine called me last week and asked me if she was old.  She is 6 months older than me so I jokingly replied, "Yes, Julie, you are old!  Older than me at least!" 

Now, Julie is an incredibly busy person.  She is married, is raising 3 teenage stepsons, works full time and is getting an MBA.  My good friend Julie, who was Valedictorian of my high school class, graduated with honors from Boston University on a full scholarship, and is currently working on her MBA picked up a gossip magazine.  She wanted to kick back during her winter break with her favorite guilty pleasure.

She didn't recognize anyone in the magazine.

"If I don't recognize anyone in the magazine, does that mean I'm old?"

I took a look at a magazine....I didn't know who half these people are!

I had to do a google search to find out that Samantha Ronson is Linsay Lohan's lesbian life partner.  Some girl named Tila Tequila, who happens to be bi-sexual and looking to find true love with anything with a pulse, was mentioned from time to time.   Dita Von Teese is apparently turning heads in Hollywood.  Her claim to fame is that she is a Burlesque dancer (i.e. classy stripper) and was married to Marilyn Manson. 

I had to google these people and I actually felt dumber after doing my research.

Now here's the one who bother's me the most.  Brody Jenner.  His name has been around a lot lately.  He hosted some concert in Boston.  He filled in for Ryan Seacrest on the radio. He has a show on MTV apparently called Bromance...not sure what its about.

His claim to fame?  His dad is Bruce Jenner and his step sister is Kim Kardashian.

Seriously?  This is what it takes to make you a celebrity?  At least his dad won a gold medal in the Olympics!  Kim Kardashian has a big ol' behind and showed off her fun bags in Playboy.  Apparently these two facts, coupled with the fact he is pretty is enough to make him a celebrity.

I guess I am old.  Back in my day, celebrities were celebrities because they did something that was celebrated.  Maddona told the world she felt like a virgin.  George Michaels asked us to wake him up before we go-go.  Molly Ringwald was pretty in pink.  LL Kool J was going to knock you out because his mama told him to.  Flo Jo was the fastest woman alive!  Alissa Milano showed us that you don't have to have blue eyes and blond hair to be considered pretty!  The U.S. women's soccer team kicked ass at World Cup!

They were celebrated because of what they did...not because of what their dad or step siblings did.

Yes, I admit it, I'm old.  But I'm smart enough to recognize a magazine full of bullshit when I see it.

11 comments:

  1. Idiocy sells. This is what how we are distracted from the real heros and villians, and truly talented celebrities.
    And btw Sonia, if you are OLD, damn girl, I must be a fossil! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes WE are OLD! hahahahaaaaa My doctors and all the professional people that take care of me are young enough to be my children. OK, and Gossip Girl, the OC, the Hill or One tree Hill so on and so on are hot shows with hot young stars......but I don't know who they are.....because I don't watch them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Soni I would be right with you, doing a Google search on all these "celebrities." Good God, I have a hard enough time keeping up with the ones that are in the news everyday, Britney, Paris, and of course, Lindsey Lohan. If I was to pick up a magazine now, all of these so-called celebrities would look like total strangers to me, and let's not even discuss all the recent music "artisit"

    ReplyDelete
  4. I go throught his daily with my oldest son, who is amazed that not only don't I know who im Kardashian is (I know who her late father was) but I also don't care! He's just taken aback at how 'old' I have gotten. I don't care about the new 'it' show for teens, or young 20's. If there is a stand out actor I will meet them elsewhere! I'm old, and I don't care! LOLOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your not old...you just have a life.........

    ReplyDelete
  6. He does have a great CHIN, although I am not sure that qualifies one for 'celeb' status...

    ReplyDelete
  7. He does have a great CHIN, although I am not sure that qualifies one for 'celeb' status...

    ReplyDelete
  8. OK, last night Bryan my 25 yr old mentioned this guy along with the words "You wouldn't know who that is" and I was SO GRATEFUL to you to be able to put him in his place! Yeeeeehaw! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOL!!! AWESOME!! Its always fun to put the kiddies in their place!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sonia.... PREACH Chica ! ... amen to all you said.

    We aren't "old"... it's that today's media and society are willing and/or incapable of knowing about... or appreciating anything or anyone that isn't on the CW, Perez Hilton.com... or shown up in the last five years in the pages of "US Weekly".

    Trust me... no one will care about or remember Brody Jenner, Tila Tequila, Samantha Ronson... or any of these other "pampered paparazzi posers" in five years.

    ... heck - how much do you even hear about Paris Hilton these days ? Their 15 minutes will be up soon.

    Thank God !
    Tim E. - u know who :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Tim!!!! Welcome to my blog! Thanks for the kind words!!

    ReplyDelete