Tuesday, January 20, 2009

We Have Arrived.....


What can I say about today?  I don't know if I have the words to describe the thoughts racing around in my head.  Today I saw the world change.  I bore witness to the dawn of a new era.  I saw a person of color reach the highest office of the nation.

I saw a man, who not too long ago in history would have been told to get to the back of the bus, become president of the United States of America.  A man who came from humble beginings.  A man who was raised by a single mother.  A man who was the son of an immigrant.  He became President of the United States of America.

I know my daughter is only 7 years old and doesn't really quite grasp why this is such a momentus moment.  She's young and fortunate because she has not experienced some of that hate the world has to offer.

A few months ago, before the election, I talked to her about why I was voting for Obama.  I told her that he worked really hard and got into a really good school.  He worked really hard and got a law degree from one of the most prestegious universities in the world.  And I told her that instead of getting a cushy job with a fat cat salary, he used his degree to help people.  My daughter says "Well, then he should be president!"

And now he is.

And now I can turn to my daughter and say "If you work hard and never give up, you can be anything you want to be!"  And this time, I won't be lying.  And my daughter will grow up different than I did.  She won't see the limitations I did because of my race.  She will not grow up thinking that a person of color reaching the highest office in the land  as an impossibility.  I still can't believe it.

When the elections results were in on November 4th, and Barack Obama was declared the next President of the United States, I called my mom to share the news and celebrate.  She was so happy and she she said "You know what this means!  Now one of us can be next!"  I didn't give my mother's hope of seeing a Latino president much thought, I think I was too caught up in the moment.

I watched the inauguration at work.  We have a huge auditorium and it was filled beyond capacity today as about 250 of us watched the inauguration.  We cheered and many times we cried.  And we prayed that God would protect our new leader and give him all the strength, wisdom and support he could ever need to guide us into this new era.

What I will never forget was the benediction at the end which was delivered by Rev. Joseph Lower.  I was sitting with a co-worker who is Korean.  And we listened as he delivered his words. 

And he said, "Lord, in the memory of all the saints who from their labors rest, and in the joy of a new beginning, we ask you to help us work for that day when black will not be asked to get in back, when brown can stick around ... when yellow will be mellow ... when the red man can get ahead, man; and when white will embrace what is right. That all those who do justice and love mercy say Amen"

I couldn't believe it, I whispered to my friend "He's talking about us!  He's referring to us!"
I looked for some some other co-workers who were also Latino.  They were just as stunned as I was.  "He's talking about us!"

I had never heard us mentioned before.  During Barack Obama's Inauguration, we were mentioned.  We were talked about.  WE BECAME PART OF THE AMERICAN FABRIC FOR THE FIRST TIME!!  We are no longer "other" people who just happen to live in this country. And now my mother's idea of a Latino president became a definite possibility because we are now players in the game!  Barack Obama has opened the door and shown that Americans come in all colors!  Like Rev. Lower said, we're black, we're brown, we're yellow, we're white and we're red.  We're here!

AND WE HAVE AT LONG LAST ARRIVED!

6 comments:

  1. And now future Presidents can come in all colors too.
    I had a similar conversation with my 8 year old Grandson Phoenix today while he watched the computer screen playing Kids Inaugural Concert. Like your daughter, the color of our Presidents skin means nothing to him. He asked me how old Milia the older daughter is. I told him she is 10. He said, well she is tall for her age just like me. Then he said, I think I want to be President too. I told him he most certainly could be, but it takes a lot of hard work. He must have good grades. He told me I do have good grades, all 100% spelling, and I am half way through the 3rd grade mathbook and I am still in the 2nd grade. I told him he is well on his way. We have wise children, and I hope they will never see color before they see beauty and character.
    President Phoenix Steele Ewan...What do ya think?

    ReplyDelete
  2. what more can i say....i guess this truly means...YOU BELONG...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LIKE IT!!! What do you think of Chief Justice Triana Shalom McNair?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I stayed home from work yesterday to witness this long time coming change, and history in the making. I sincerely enjoyed and embraced our newly elected presidents speech. During the speech President Obama mentioned our "Patchwork Heritage" which was such a profound term. We are finally considered a nation of people stitched together as one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Had to come back and also point out the theme song that President Obama and first lady Michelle Obama danced too at the multiple balls last night..... "At Last" by Etta James. That song speaks volume, and Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. was probably dancing right along with them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Had to come back and also point out the theme song that President Obama and first lady Michelle Obama danced too at the multiple balls last night..... "At Last" by Etta James. That song speaks volume, and Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. was probably dancing right along with them.

    ReplyDelete