Wednesday, September 10, 2008

My Vendetta Against Smurfette....

For years, I have hated Smurfette.  I was never really able to pinpoint why, just the very word "Smurfette" would cause me to fly into a rage.  But it was until recently that I was able to figure out why.

For those of you who don't remember the various details of Smurfdom....lets do a quick recap.  Smurf village was inhabited by Papa Smurf, the leader, and a variety of other Smurfs.  All of whom were male.  There were no female smurfs.  And happily they lived.

Gargamel, the Smurf's nemesis, created Smurfette to infiltrate the Smurf colony.  She was to entice them with her feminine wiles, sabotage various projects and wreak havoc.  This plan backfired because when Smurfette was first taken to Smurf Village, she didn't fit in.  None of the Smurfs found her to be very attractive.  And they kind of thought she was annoying and mean.  She wasn't winning any popularity contests. And she was evil.

Papa Smurf in all his wisdom, did some smurf voodoo and made Smurfette good.

Here's the thing we should keep in mind, when Gargamel created Smurfette.....SHE HAD BLACK HAIR!

After Papa Smurfs makeover....SHE WAS A BLOND!!  And not just a regular blond...SHE WAS A BLOND WITH HAIR EXTENSIONS AND HIGH HEELS.

In short, she was the Jessica Simpson of Smurf Village.

As a child watching the Smurfs, I did not like this a bit but I just couldn't put my finger on it.  The Smurfs and Smurfette bothered me, but I wasn't quite sure why.

And it only got worse when I went to summer camp.  A boy named Jamal declared his undying love for me by stating that he was my Papa Smurf and I would forever be his Smurfette.  I think its safe to assume that the relationship was doomed to fail...especially since I punched him square in the face for calling me Smurfette.

I'm a little older and a little wiser now.  And I don't hit people in the face quite as often as I used to.  But I do know I have some very valid facts for hating Smurfette.

As a brunette no one liked Smurfette.  As a high heel wearing blond, everyone loved her and tripped all overthemselves just to be near her. 

To little girls who have dark hair...like myself...Smurfette was basically telling me that I was ugly and no one would ever love me.  And the Smurfette character even went so far to say, you have to be dumb and sexual for people to like you.  I'm sure some people will roll their eyes and say "No...you're reaching."  But kids pick up on these things.  As did I.

Earlier this summer I bought a summer dress, very simple, a little retro and pretty color.
I was wearing it at lunch and a coworker commented on the dress saying how pretty it was and how much she loved the color.  Another co-worker chimed in that every time I wear that dress he thinks of Smurfette....the dress is Smurf blue.

I haven't worn the dress since.












6 comments:

  1. ROFLMAO!!!
    I have recently rented the smurfs (gotta love Netflix) and that episode was one of the 1st ones on the dvd! I agree with you, she's not as smurferific as they tried to make her out to be!

    ReplyDelete
  2. roflmbao.
    Jessica Simpson of Smurf Village. OMG I am dying.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lol.....your blog is very funny creative and most of all smurfy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. First - I never knew that Smurfette was originally brunette and not-well liked...

    Funny how the "images" (and you know what I'm talking about) translate so well. Art truly does imitate life. (As I sit here bleached platinum blonde.. oops)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Silkee - I think your blonde hair is gorgeous. And unlinke smurftette, you are smart!

    ReplyDelete
  6. hahahahhahahaha....next time you want to date someone from the blue man group, go blond...otherwise...who cares...the smurfs were blue and dumb....i never liked smurfette blond, blue or black...they all looked like sperm heads...lmao...

    ReplyDelete