Wednesday, February 11, 2009

High Risk....


Thanks to my Polycystic Ovarian Disease Syndrome...or whatever...I knew my pregnancy would be difficult.   From the second that second blue line appeared in my pregnancy test I was labeled high risk.

My first trimester was pretty uneventful aside from the heartburn I could feel in my knees!  I sometimes wonder if I was born to be a mother or if I was born to be a nurse.  I guess it could be both.  As my body changed, things started to hurt.  I remember a cousin of mine was pregnant years before and every time she felt the slightest sting or pain, off she ran to the hospital.  When I felt those same pains I knew that my body was making room for a growing baby.  I assumed that if my ligaments were stretching, then that's probably what hurt.  It was pretty instinctual.

I went to my doctor for regular exams and blood work.

I came home from work one day and I found a message waiting for me.  It was the nurse practitioner from my doctors office.  "Hi Sonia...this is Jane...just wanted to let you know that I got the results from you blood tests back and everything looks great...ummm...can you call me as soon as you get this message...here's my direct number..."

Turns out that my progesterone level dropped below normal.  Just to be safe, Jane wanted me to go to the local hospital and get an ultrasound to make sure everything was ok.  And after my ultrasound I should drop by to see her.

No big whoop.  I went to the ultrasound.  Everything seemed normal and off I went to see Jane.

When she walked into the waiting room she seemed absolutely floored that I was there.  But she called me into her office none the less...

"Did you get the ultrasound?"
"Yep"
"What did they say?"
"They said everything was fine and the baby is normal."
"YOU MEAN ITS STILL ALIVE?!?!?"

Apparently progesterone is a very important hormone.  No progesterone...no baby.  And my progesterone level was nearly non-existent. 

Everyone assumed that the baby was already dead.  So what they were actually doing was sending me off for the ultrasound to confirm my pregnancy was over.  And I was supposed to get a dilation and curettage (a D&C) after the ultrasound.  My progesterone level was so low that no one expected the baby to still be alive.  So seeing me sitting in the waiting room without a care in the world was quite shocking to the medical staff.

For the next weeks, I needed to take progesterone suppositories to keep the pregnancy going.

I had come so close to having a miscarriage.

Little did I know...the worst was yet to come.

3 comments:

  1. the worst...are you talking terrible 2's, or the teen years yet to come...:)....i'm glad it worked out...and she was born..

    ReplyDelete
  2. EEEKS!!
    Even though I know your story had a happy ending and that you have your beautiful little girl
    I read this and felt my heart sink....how flipping scary!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stay tuned...the worst is yet to come...it does in fact get worse.

    ReplyDelete